- The Patristic Symposium has as its objective the promotion of interest in and study of the Fathers of the Church.
- Membership is confined to academics who have conducted research in the area of Patrology or whose research and special interest is closely related to this discipline. Non-members, such as students or others interested in the Fathers of the Church, may be invited to attend a particular meeting by any individual member.
- Membership is by way of invitation extended to an interested party by an existing member with the approval of the other members.
- Members are obliged to pay an annual membership fee of €50.
- Members elect an Honorary President (or Patron) for life.
- Members elect an Honorary Chairman, Secretary and/or Treasurer to act on behalf of the Symposium for a three-year period.
- Apart from the usual duties, the Secretary acts as convener of all meetings and makes all the necessary arrangements.
- Ordinary meetings are held at least twice during each academic year to discuss a paper presented by a member or to comment on a text. A chairperson is appointed to conduct each meeting
- Public conferences and lectures may be organized with the approval of the majority of members present at an ordinary meeting.
- An Executive Committee comprising of the President, Chairman, Secretary and two other members elected by the majority of members present at the Annual General Meeting, shall be empowered to act on behalf of the Symposium in legal matters and to select papers and speakers for any public lecture or conference organized by the Symposium.
- An Organizing Committee consisting of the Chairman, Secretary and one other member elected by the majority of members present at the Annual General Meeting shall have responsibility for all technical matters concerned with the organization of public lectures and conferences.
- Informality should remain a characteristic of the Symposium.
Amended Constitution approved on the 10 November 2007.
At the meeting held in the Patrick Murray Room, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, on the 10th November 2007 the following were elected to the following offices and committees:
- Honorary Chairman: Professor D. Vincent Twomey, SVD
- Honorary Secretary: Dr Janet Rutherford
- Honorary Treasurer: Sr Consilio Rock, SM
Apart from the above officers, Professor Finbarr Clancy SJ and Rev Brendan McConvery, were elected to the Executive Committee.
Apart from the above-mentioned Chairman and Secretary, Sr Consilo Rock was elected to the Organizing Committee.