Professor of Systematic Theology
Tel: +353 (0)1 708 3498
Priest of the Diocese of Dublin, ordained in 1986. Undergraduate studies in University College Dublin (1977-1980), Mater Dei Institute of Education, Dublin (1980-1981), Clonliffe College, Dublin (1980-1983) and the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome (1983-1986). Professional studies at King’s Inns, Dublin (1981-83). Graduate studies at the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome (1983-1991). Curate in Clonskeagh parish (1991-1992), member of the staff of Holy Cross Seminary (1992-1999) and Mater Dei Institute of Education (1992-2006); member of college of consultors of Dublin diocese (1998-2004); parish chaplain in Lusk, Dublin (1999-2004); registrar of Mater Dei Institute (2004-2006); confessional lecturer at Irish School of Ecumenics (1999–present). Secretary of the Advisory Committee on Ecumenism of the Irish Bishops’ Conference (1999–2010); member of Inter-Church Meeting (1999- present) and of Three Faiths Forum of Ireland (1999–present); chairman of Dublin diocesan ecumenical committee in Dublin diocese (1999–present); member of ITA (2005- present); corresponding member of the Pontifical Theology Academy (2004- present); Co-chair of the Theology Forum of the Irish Inter-Church Meeting (2010-) (www.irishchurches.org); Visiting lecturer at the Sophia University Institute, Loppiano, Flornence (www.iu-sophia.org).
- Ecumenical Dialogue with particular reference to Ecclesiology.
- Ecclesiology with particular reference to the Marian Principle in the Church
- New Ecclesial Movements – Ecclesiological Perspectives
- Theology of Priesthood in the light of Vatican II’s ecclesiology
- The Marian Principle in the Church in the light of Bulgakov’s Sophiology
- The Marian Principle and Inter-Religious Dialogue
Year of Faith: Stations of the Cross London: CTS, 2013
“Foreword” in 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012, Proceedings of the International Symposium of Theology: The Ecclesiology of Communion Fifty Years after the Opening of Vatican II. Dublin: Veritas, 2012, pp. 18-25.
“The Year of Faith” Furrow 63 (2012): 543-548.
- “Charisms Old and New: New Ecclesial Movements and Communities” Horizon 37 (2012/4), 15-20
- "Communities of Life and Dialogue in the Catholic Church" in Dharma World 39 (2012/July-Sept): 4-7.
- with Salvador Ryan, Treasures of Irish Christianity: People and Places, Images and Texts (Dublin: Veritas, 2012)
- "Mutual Love: locus of the Trinity in Augustine's De trinitate" in Janet E. Rutherford and David Woods, The Mystery of Christ in the Fathers of the Church (Dublin:Four Courts, 2012), pp. 66-77.
- "El Magistero de los Papas en los mensajes anuales para la Journada Mundial de Oración por las Vocaciones" in Seminarios L V II (2012): 41-52.
- "A Young People's Saint" in Spirituality (2012/May)
- His Mass and Ours: Reflections on Living Eucharistically, New York: New City Press, 2012.
- “What do the Popes say about Vocation?” in Horizons 37, 2012: 17-24.
- With Séamus O’Connell, Having Life in his Name: Living, Thinking and Communicating the Christian Life of Faith, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- 'An Extraordinary Book' (Featured Review of YouCat), The Furrow 62 (2011): 705-708.
- Ecclesial Movements: Origins, Significance and Issues (New York: New City, 2011).
- “The Role of Canon Law in the Ecumenical Venture: a Roman Catholic Perspective.” Ecclesiastical Law Journal 13 (2011), pp 15-25.
- “Among the most Catechised but among the least Evangelised”? Religious Education in Ireland’ RES (Revista Ecumenica Sibiu) 2 (2010/3): 123-138.
- Believe in Love: The Life, Ministry and Teachings of John Paul II, Dublin: Veritas Publications, 2011; Hyde Park, New City Press, 2011.
- “Moving towards a New Stage in Ecumenism,” Doctrine and Life 61 (2011): 3-9.
- ‘Hiding behind the works’: the Holy Spirit in the Trinitarian Rhythm of Human Fulfilment in the Theology of Irenaeus” in Vincent Twomey and Janet E. Rutherford, The Holy Spirit in the Fathers of the Church: The Proceedings of the Seventh International Patristic Conference, Maynooth, 2008 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2010): 11-31.
- Priests Today: Reflections on Identity, Life and Ministry, Hyde Park: New City Press, 2010 (Co edited with Monsignor Michael Mulvey).
- "Priests and Ecclesial Movements,” in Gearóid Dullea, On Shepherding: Reflections on the Priesthood (Dublin: Columba Press, 2010) 17-29.
- "What are they saying about Mary, Grace and Hope in Christ?" in Irish Theological Quarterly 75, 2010, 45-55.
- "The Winter of Ecumenism - A response to Michael Hurley's proposal of a Practical Ecumenics," in Furrow, vol. 61, 2010, 37-40.
- “A Spirituality of Communion: Spirituality for the Diocesan Priest,” Spirituality 16, January/February 2010, 27-33.
- “Ecclesiology in the light of Vatican II’s Trinitarian Anthropology,” Sophia 1, 2009, 171-182.
- “What the Family, Icon of the Trinity, has to offer the Church and Humanity”, in Consilium Conferentiarum Episcoporum Europae, The Family: A Good for Humanity, Atti del I Forum Europeo Cattolico-Ortodosso, Trento, Italia, 11-14 dicembre, 2008, Bologna: EDB, 2009, 161-174.
- “St Paul and the Spirituality of Communion” in The Pastoral Review 5, 2009/4, 16-21
- “Where is Ecumenism at Today?” The Furrow 60, 2009/7, 25-31.
- Inter-Church Relations: Developments and Perspectives, Dublin: Veritas, 2008
- “The Achievements and Challenges of Mary, Grace and Hope in Christ,” Louvain Studies 33, 2008, 117-135.
- “John Paul II and Hans Urs von Balthasar” in Gerald O’Collins and Michael Hayes, eds, The Legacy of John Paul II, London: Continuum, 2008.
- “Inter-Religious Dialogue,” The Furrow 59, 2008, 432-436.
- “’Christ Existing as Community’: Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Notion of Church,” Irish Theological Quarterly 73, 2008, 32-59.
- “The Adventure of Obeying the Word,” Spirituality 14, 2008, 341-346.
- “What were they saying about Ecumenism at Sibiu?” Doctrine and Life, 57, 2007/9, 31-41.
- “Between Logos and Nothingness: Piero Coda’s Theology of Religions,” in John F. O'Grady, John D'Arcy May, Peter Schüttke-Scherle, eds, Ecumenics from the Rim: Explorations in Honour of John D’Arcy May Münster: Lit Verlag, 2007, 253-260.
- Vatican II: Facing the 21st Century: Historical and Theological Perspectives, Dublin: Veritas, 2006 (Co-edited with Dermot A. Lane).
- "The Spirituality of the Vocation to Priesthood” in Seminarium 46, 2006, 423-454.
- "Pastoral Councils: Making Communion Visible" Doctrine and Life 55, 2005/4, 11-21.
- Christianity: Origins and Contemporary Expressions, Dublin: Veritas, 2004 (with Thomas Norris).
- The Marian Profile in the Ecclesiology of Hans Urs von Balthasar, New York and London: New City Press, 2000.
Links & Other Interests: