Lecturer in Moral Theology
Director of Affiliated Programmes
Tel: +353 (0)1 708 6165
Office Location: Room 6, Dunboyne House
Office Hours: Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Priest of the Archdiocese of Dublin, ordained in 1998. Undergraduate studies in UCD (BA) and Clonliffe College (BD); graduate studies at UCD (MA Philosophy) and the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome (STD); further studies at Marino Institute of Education (Post Graduate Diploma in Catholic Education and Leadership); Curate at Our Lady of the Assumption Parish, Ballyfermot (1998-2000); Curate at the Parish of Saggart, Rathcoole and Brittas (2006–present); St. Cuthbert’s Visiting Research Fellow, Durham University (2012); currently, secretary to the Bioethics Consultative Body of the Irish Catholic Bishops Conference, committee member of Irish Theological Association and member of the Association of Teachers of Moral Theology.
- Caritas in Veritate
- Human Rights
- Pastoral Ethics
- “Conversations on Catholic Third-Level Education.” The Furrow 63 (2012): 67-76.
- Book Review: Ethna Regan, Theology and the Boundary of Ethics. Irish Theological Quarterly 76 (2011): 99-101.
- Book Review: Stephen J. Grabill, Rediscovering the Natural Law in the Reformed Theological Ethics. Irish Theological Quarterly 73 (2008): 210.
- Human Rights and Moral Reasoning. A comparative investigation by way of three theorists and their respective traditions of enquiry: John Finnis, Ronald Dworkin and Jürgen Habermas. Rome: Gregorian & Biblical Press, 2009.
Current Research & Recent Papers:
- Caritas in Veritate and the current economic crisis
- Caritas in Veritate in dialogue with political theory
- Frameworks of moral reasoning around human rights
- “The Political, the Logic of Gift and Caritas in Veritate.” Paper delivered as the St. Cuthbert’s Visiting Research Fellow, the Centre for Catholic Studies, Durham, UK on May 23, 2012.
- “Caritas in Veritate from a theological perspective.” Paper presented at a conference on Caritas in Veritate associated with the Annual Michael Devlin Lecture, St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth on February 16, 2010.
- "Theology After Artane.” Paper presented at Interface Conference: Being a Young Theologian in the World Today, St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth on November 7, 2009.
- MR 121 Introduction to Moral Theology
- MR 323 Human Rights in Moral Reasoning
- MR 324 Moral Guidance in Pastoral Ministry
- MR 335 Ministerial Ethics
- MR 401 Bioethics and the Catholic Moral Tradition
- PG 418 The Ethics of Gift